Tuesday 5 September 2006

First weeks in Japan

Hope everyone is well. I know you've all been waiting for the latest installment from the land of the rising sun so here it is!! Where shall I start? I guess at the beginning........


Well just over 3 weeks ago now I boarded the plane with Jessebelle (My guitar for anyone who doesn't know) and 7 other JETs (Japanese Exchange Teachers) from England. I spent 2 nights in Tokyo which was very cool. There was about 120 JETs in total in Tokyo at the group C orientation, mainly from America Australia and New Zealand. There were lots of lectures during the day about the job and settling into Japan etc and plenty of customary drinking in the night. The first night was quite funny all the English Jets went out for a meal. None of us could speak Japanese, so we had to just point at the menu and hope for the best. I was starving but I ended up with a dish with some food (I don't know what) about the size of ping pong ball. So I left very hungry but with a greater determination to learn Japanese and also to fill up on beer!! The second night we had a big welcome ceromony with lots of great Japanese food and drinks and then went out with some Irish guys, one of whom had lived in Tokyo before so he led us all to some good bars!

Here are some pictures from my Tokyo Orientation:

The English JETs First meal in Japan! DOH!












Me and my Room-mates for the 2 nights, Ed and George!

Me and Ed in a Japanese Bar
















Me at Shibuya Crossing, it must be one of if not the busiest pedestrian crossings in the world!










Me, George, Ed, The Irish Guys and some Japanese people we met in a bar.


The view from the hotel.













Off to Tadami........
The next day I was taken to my new home in Tadami. It took about 4 hours from Tokyo and on the way I met some of the other JETs living in my area. There are 6 JETs including me within an hour or so drive. 3 English guys Me, Matt and Richard, 2 American guys called Matt and Mike and an American girl called Meredith.

Since then it has been very hetic. The first week I met almost everyone in my town I think. There were loads of welcome ceromonys and partys and stuff. I've already been in the local paper a couple of times and they have asked me to write in it every month! I met all the teachers at the 3 schools I will be working at. Each shool has less than 100 kids so they're pretty small.

At the weekend loads of JETs met up in the nearest city, Aizu Wakamatsu, for an all you can eat and drink party. It was great, there were about 30 JETs from all over the area and we certainly made the most of the all you can drink. We finished up by murdering some songs at the Karioke Bar and then we all crashed at a couple of the JETs flats. The next morning I had the worst hang over I’ve had in Ages and was feeling very rough in the morning but I 'manned up' and went to festival in the afternoon in the next town to mine called Nango. The festival was to celebrate harvest I think. It was extremely strange and there were lots of very drunk Japanese men and fireworks and drumming and dancing and food stalls. Anyway it was great fun!

That week there were similar festivals held all over the place. I was asked to play Teiko (Japanese Drums) in the festival in my town. It was very cool but pretty tiring. They play and sing the same song for about 3 hours and everyone dances round the people playing the drums. Its very strange!!!


The next week was my first week teaching, It was a little daunting but I think i got on quite well with the kids and they seemed to enjoy my lessons. Last weekend I went to Sendai for a big jazz festival with about 10 other JETs. That was awesome, there were loads and loads of little stages with people playing Jazz music all over the place.

Today I had my first experience teaching in the Elementary School. I only do this about twice a month but it was great fun. The kids seemed to like using me as a human climbing frame!! Reminded me very much of Kindergarten Cop but obviously i'm a bit more tonk than Arnie!
Anyway not sure what i'm up to this weekend but I’m sure something will be going on! In a few weeks i'm going to Nagano for a big football tournament so that should be good.
Right better go, speak to you soon
Here are a few photos from my first few weeks in Tadami:

Me and the Other Minamiaizu Jets. (Left to Right Mike, Matt F, Meredith, Matt H, Me, Rich)

Me at my first Enkai with some of the Teachers from Asahi JHS

Me at the top of Tadami Dam near my apartment


The view of Tadami Ski Slope from my apartment balcony

My Apartment living room

My Kitchen

JETs enjoying Karaoke

Minami Aizu JETs minus Rich

THE Drunkest Man at Nango Festival

The Drunk Man looking very pleased with Becca


Me and some Japanese girls


The Nango Autumn Festival




Me and the "Band" at the Tadami Autumn Festival


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice idea Bryn, the blog's good banter.

Last picture, bird on the far right...FIT.