Wednesday 13 September 2006

Tadami-Machi Welcome Enkai

(They even spelt my name right - thats better than most people in England!)


Today after school I had my Town Welcome Enkai (Drinking Party). I had been to a couple of enkais with my schools before this, and most of the teachers had been casually dressed. When I was told I had been told I had another welcome enkai, I assumed it would be the same and I changed into some jeans and a rugby shirt. Luckily just before I got on the coach, one of my teachers told me that it was probably best to change into some smarter clothes. I was so glad I did because I would have looked a right fool as everybody else was wearing suits. I didn't really realise that this was my official town welcome party, and the Mayor of Tadami, and the head teachers from all the schools as well as a lot of other important people in the town would be there.

Most enkais have quite formalised procedures, with opening speeches, Kampai (Start Drinking Speech), and closing speeches, but during the meal and the drinking it is very relaxed and very good fun. The food is always excellent, and it is traditional to make sure that nobody's drink is ever empty. This enkai was followed tradition, although the speeches were maybe a little more formal than usual. I was also asked to give a speech as the guest of honour. Luckily I knew that I would have to give a short speech at all my welcome enkais, and although I hadn't brought anything with me I was beginning to remember mine off by heart. It was very short but it was in Japanese and I think everyone appreciated my effort even if my Japanese was far from perfect. After the first, more formal, enkai some of the teachers and my supervisor (Ken-san) took my to another bar/resturant for a more relaxed 2nd enkai, like an after party I guess. We stayed at this bar till quite late and food kept being served! By the end of the night I was feeling quite merry and very stuffed. It was very enjoyable but I think i'm going to get fat here with all these enkais, the great food, and so much beer and sake!

Anyway here are some photos from the night:



Me, with the Mayor of Tadami and some other members of the town council.


Me and the Mayor - I don't know why I look so geeky in all these photos though!


Me and some friends at the 2nd Enkai


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I don't know why I look so geeky in all these photos though!"

The camera doesn't lie Bryn.