Wednesday 31 January 2007

Koho Tadami Diary Entry - January

When I arrived in Tadami, one of the things they asked me to do was write a short article in the town newspaper each month. The newspaper is called the Koho Tadami, and it's a free newspaper that is delivered to every home to let them know what's going on in the town. Apparently my activities are of much interest as I am the only foreigner. I write them in English and one of the teachers translates them for the paper, which is why the English is usually quite simple. I thought I would put the English versions up on this blog so I can keep a permanent record of what I wrote.


Bryn’s Diary Entry – January

Hello again and Happy New Year. I hope everyone enjoyed the New Year celebrations and is having a good start to 2007. Before Christmas I experienced my first ever Japanese Bonenkais, these were a little different from English end of year work parties but they were very good fun. The food was fantastic and the hotels were beautiful.

After this I travelled to Sydney and enjoyed my first Christmas and New Year in Australia. It felt a little strange to have Christmas Day in the summer time but it was fun to spend it on Bondi Beach with my friends. I saw a Surfing Santa! In Australia it is very hot and they don’t get any snow, so over Christmas shops spray fake snow on the trees to make it look more like Christmas. This made me think of Tadami where I knew there would be lots of snow.

While I was in Sydney I visited lots of the attractions and did some sight seeing. I went to the Sydney Opera House and I also climbed up the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge. That was a great experience and the view from the top was fantastic.
The highlight of my trip was doing a Skydive the day before New Years Eve. Jumping out of a plane at over 4,000m is an exhilarating experience that I will never forget. I spent New Years Eve in Sydney harbour and watched the spectacular fireworks over Sydney Harbour Bridge, which I had climbed to the top of only a few days before. The photo below is of me just by Bondi Beach.

No comments: