Saturday 30 June 2007

Koho Tadami Diary Entry - June

When I arrived in Tadami, one of the things they asked me to do was write a short article in the town newspaper each month. The newspaper is called the Koho Tadami, and it's a free newspaper that is delivered to every home to let them know what's going on in the town. Apparently my activities are of much interest as I am the only foreigner. I write them in English and one of the teachers translates them for the paper, which is why the English is usually quite simple. I thought I would put the English versions up on this blog so I can keep a permanent record of what I wrote.

Bryn’s Diary Entries – June

Although we are now in the rainy season, for me June has been a great month to get outside and enjoy the natural beauty of Japan. The mountainous countryside of Japan is very different from the countryside in England where it is a lot flatter. It is getting very warm now and I think it is a lot more humid than England, which is something that I find a little difficult to adjust to.

I have been trying to go running regularly to practice for the Tokyo Marathon, but I won’t know if I have a place until October. Last year there were 3 times as many applicants as there were places and it is decided randomly so I just have to wait and see if I have a place.

In June I managed to go to the beautiful 5 colour lakes near Mt. Bandai. It was very scenic and very peaceful to walk round the lakes. I went with a friend from Koriyama and an international group there.

I also climbed Mt. Asakusa on the opening day of the climbing season. It was a very enjoyable climb, and in parts it was quite slippery and challenging. There were many people climbing Asakusa and some had come from a long way so I felt very lucky to live so close. My friend Richard who is the ALT in Tateiwa came to climb the mountain too and the picture at the bottom is of me and him at the top.

No comments: